Spicy chicken pasties
For the pastry
225g plain flour
Good pinch of salt
½ tsp ground turmeric
125g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
About 4 tbsp icy water
For the filling
175g skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1.5cm cubes
3 tbsp natural yogurt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2cm root ginger, peeled and grated
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp each of ground cumin and coriander
Good pinch of salt
2 tbsp mango chutney
Beaten egg, to glaze
To make the pastry
- Sift the flour, salt and turmeric into a bowl. Add the diced butter into the flour using the tips of your fingers until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Using a round-bladed knife, gradually stir in enough cold water to bring the mixture together to form a ball of soft but not sticky dough. Wrap in clingfilm and keep chilled until needed.
To make the filling,
- Combine the chicken, yogurt, garlic, ginger, cayenne, cumin, coriander and salt in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. If you have the time, cover and marinate for a couple of hours in the fridge. I didn’t have time to do this but they still tasted great.
- Preheat the grill to its hottest setting and line the grill pan with oiled foil. Spoon the chicken mixture onto the foil and spread evenly in one layer. Grill for 5 to 6 minutes or unitl the chicken is just firm and starting to colour. Remove the grill pan from the heat and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC / 350oF / gas 4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured worktop to a 24 x 36 rectangle. Cut out 6 rounds with a 12cm cutter (I used a cereal bowl). Divide the chicken mixture into equal portions, draining off any watery liquid that has collected. Spoon a portion of chicken onto one half of each pastry round, leaving a 1cm border clear. Be careful not to overfill the pastry (like I did) otherwise they’ll break / crack.
- Top each with a teaspoonful of mango chutney. Dampen the pastry edges with beaten eggs, then foll the pastry over the filling to make a semi-circle and press the edges together firmly to seal. Press down on the edges with the back of a fork to decorate and seal.
- Place on the lined baking sheet. Brush lightly with beaten egg to glaze then make a small steam hole in the centre of each pastie with the top of a knife. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp. Serve warm with extra chutney.